Friday, August 21, 2009

TODAY'S LESSON

If you don't like what you're seeing, change your perspective.

Last night, I was just finishing up work and Scott called me downstairs. "Come quick", he said. Not sure whether to be concerned or excited, I went quick. He took me outside and said, (yes, HE said), "Look at the lighting out here. Isn't it amazing?". First of all, I nearly peed my pants. My husband loves me so much that he is now looking for light and getting excited enough to call me to share it with him. And second of all, it was the most interesting, eerie, beautiful light I had ever seen. The sun was setting to my right; there were black storm clouds in front of me and bright blue blue sky to the right. That combination cast the most amazing light on the soccer team playing across the street. It was magical. After, I gathered myself (remember, my husband noticed this light - yes, that still gets me) and went to get my camera. The three shots above were all taken at the very same time. I just changed my perspective. The first was looking east where the big fat cumulus clouds were hanging out in a bright blue sky. The second shot was straight in front of me where the storm cloud was trying to figure out what to do next and to my right, the big warm summer sun was setting through the trees in a spectacular way.

I went back in after soaking in the moment and thought about the life lesson God was sharing with me. It's all about focus and perspective isn't it? You see, so often, I stare straight ahead. I see those storm clouds brewing in the distance. I fuss and complain because I don't like rain or want another storm. I fret about what we will do if it floods or the winds break something or worse yet, lightning strikes. BUT! If I would just move my head and look to my left or right, I would see gorgeous blue skies or the miracle of God's sunset. I would bask in warmth and goodness and beauty rather than gloom and dread.

I am grateful for God's lessons (those gentle reminders that He whispers into my soul through the majesty of His creation). Truth be told, I needed it. I get so consumed by work and the things that I'm not getting to do, that I often lose sight of the beauty and blessings on either side of me. What an important reminder to stop for a moment and change my perspective. The good on either side of me is more real and tangible that the possibility of that storm up ahead.

Remember, Laura. Look up AND look around!

1 comments:

Amy Jo August 23, 2009 at 6:25 PM  

So perfect and very true. Thanks for sharing your perspective. Love ya

LEARNING TO BE REAL

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

2009 LIFE VERSE

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12: 1-3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP